Hagerman NWR - Coming Events, January 14 – 28, 3012
Second Saturday, January 14, 2012 - The Sparrows of Hagerman, 10 am, Meeting Room, Visitor Center.
Dr. Wayne Meyer will lead this presentation on the many kinds of true sparrows that migrate to Texomaland during the winter months.
- Identification tips for birders of all levels of ability, including the importance of habitat, in recognizing different species.
- Species can be grouped by habitat such as Grasslands or Trees and Brush, then by physical characteristics such as Zebra Head, Red Cap, Streaky Fronts with Stickpins and others.
Informal lecture at 10 am, followed by a short field trip on the Refuge, weather permitting. Those attending might want to bring field guides and binoculars, and dress for the weather.
Second Saturday for Youth, January 14, 2012, 10 am – “Recyclerama”, Audio Visual Classroom, FOH Center
- Mr. Can-head craft project! And - make some music - Toot a newspaper horn, or tap out a rhythm on a cereal box drum!
- Games and activities to encourage recycling and re-use.
For ages 4 – 10 (parents must accompany ages 6 and under, thanks); short nature walk, weather permitting; bring coats, etc. Please call the Refuge to reserve a place for your child, 903 786 2826.
FOH Nature Photo Club – 12:30 pm, January 14, 2012, Audio Visual Classroom, FOH Center
Program, “Physiology of Photography: Why We See Things the Way We Do”, by Dale Thoreson
- Photo sharing – theme – “Winter”. Send photos in jpg format with your name in the file name to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP!!
- Club is open to all photographers interested in nature photography. Visitors welcome!
Begin to Bird Class, Saturdays – January 21 AND 28, 9:30 am – Noon, Meeting Room, Visitor Center.
- Learn how to choose and use field guides and optics
- Learn strategies for identifying birds
Free class; register at the door January 21. Leader – Dick Malnory
Programs are sponsored by Hagerman NWR, 6465 Refuge Road, Sherman, TX 75092, and the Friends of Hagerman. Open to the public free of charge; nominal dues for Photo Club, no charge for visitors to club meetings. No reservations needed except for youth program.
Photo: Harris' Sparrow, by Dick Malnory